Largely inspired by the work done in the movie 2012, I did some tests on how some FumeFX (1.x) parameters would affect a crawling smoke simulation.
- I’m using a Gravity Vector object pointing towards the side, thus creating the effect of crawling smoke.
- Grid Size is on average @ 300x300x300.
- Simple Src with a disabled Smoke Channel.
- “Fuel Creates Smoke” checked. (This was renamed to “Fire Creates Smoke” on newer versions 2.x?)
1. Smoke – Density | Diffusion
– High Diffusion for softer/fluffy smoke.
– High Density seems to have affected the smoke movement.
2. Smoke – Density | Gravity
– High Density also seems to prevent the smoke to expand.
3. Grid Spacing & System Scale*
– To see smoke details on a small SystemScale setup, use smaller Grid Spacing.
4. Grid Spacing & Advection Stride
– The Grid Spacing doesn’t seem to have a significant effect on Advection Stride. (Also see #8)
5. Grid Spacing & Time Scale
– It is generally a good practice to have higher Time Scale values in order to bring out more details.
6. Grid Spacing & Vorticity
– High Vorticity will add more details.
– Low Vorticity, smoother smoke.
7. Advection Stride & Vorticity
– In the case of this scene, a Vorticity setting of 1.0 is not recommendable as you loose a lot of detail.
8. Time Scale & Advection Stride
– The Time Scale also doesn’t have a significant effect on Advection Stride. (See #4)
9. Time Scale & Vorticity
– Time Scale helps to impose the sense of scale.
* The System Scale parameter is only accessible through MaxScript. Here’s a quote from Kresimir Tkalcec from the Afterworks forums:
“Some params that are visible from MXS and not documented are not officially supported, and/or they’re used internally.”
To set the parameter say to a value of 0.5, simply select your FumeFX Grid Object and enter this to the Listener:
$.systemScale = 0.5
- When playing the videos over at the Vimeo site, you can press spacebar to Play/Pause the video.
- You may also just download the MOV videos from the Vimeo site.
- Tip Jar is now enabled for those who wish to send tips.